Saturday, May 24, 2014

Day 8 - Tomah, Wisconsin to Minneapolis, Minnesota

Short trip today along Mississippi River on the western side in Minnesota. Beautiful small towns in a middle mountain landscape. Many trees, bushes and flowers, everything is green. Then I realized the Germans must have been here. A little town with the name of New Trier was close to the road. Those of my friends who don't know Germany need to know that I grew up not far away from Trier at the Moselle River. And sure enough the church in town looked like a German church, the cemetery showed a majority of good old German names. Just less than 100 miles south everything sounded French, and here on the Eastern side of Minnesota, the Germans settled.
Welcome to Minnesota - almost missed the sign

A church like the ones in Germany

A cemetery with mostly German names

4 comments:

  1. Hello my vagabond friends. I pull up google maps each time I read your travel blog so that I can better picture the routes you are traveling. How wonderful to find a little town with German roots. I hope you found an authentic little German restaurant with dishes that could compete with your own! ~dj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun looking for places with German heritage. Yosemite is very busy this weekend. Suzy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dj, I am so happy that you found a way for me to reach on our adventure. We didn't find a German restaurant, however it was quite interesting to find this German settlement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzy, I am happy that you are following us on our trip. I can imagine, that Yosemite is a zoo over the holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think